Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Free help with IRS problems - Taxpayer Advocate

If the IRS is on your back, and you don't know how to cope with them, there's help. It's called the Taxpayer Advocate Service. Here's what their web site says:

"If you have an ongoing issue with the IRS that has not been resolved through normal processes, or you have suffered, or are about to suffer a significant hardship/economic burden as a result of the administration of the tax laws, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service."

"Your assigned Case Advocate will listen to your point of view and will work with you to address your concerns."

"The Taxpayer Advocate Service not only helps individual and business taxpayers settle disputes with the IRS, but also tries to repair the larger, systemic flaws that cause trouble for taxpayers and IRS employees alike."

So who sponsors this wonderful organization? Surprise -- the IRS! Yes, the Taxpayer Advocate Service is "an independent organization within the IRS" to "help taxpayers resolve problems with the IRS and recommend changes that will prevent the problems."

Emphasis on the word "independent." No, they aren't going to screw you; they're going to try to figure out the best way to solve your problem. And it's free.

For more information see their site at http://www.irs.gov/advocate/.


Post a Comment

<< Home